- Info & photos: FIA & Guillaume Alvarez
Corberi unintentionally gained worldwide fame in October 2020 for throwing his front fairing to fellow driver Paolo Ippolito, following an incident between both drivers resulting in Corberi’s retirement, in the opening stages of the FIA Karting KZ World Championship at Lonato.
Months after the incident, for which Corberi since apologized while retiring from racing, the International Tribunal of the FIA made public its decision following the hearing that took place in Paris on Monday, March 22nd, 2021.
Disciplinary procedure against Mr. Luca Corberi:
On 4 October 2020, at the South Garda Karting circuit in Lonato, in the framework of the 2020 FIA Karting KZ World Championship Final, Mr. Luca Corberi was involved in the following incidents:
- He threw the front fairing of his kart to the track towards other drivers who were still competing
- He crossed the track several times at different spots, in the middle of the race, disobeying the instructions given to him by the officials
- He physically attacked another driver in Parc Fermé
On 1 February 2021, the President of the FIA decided to submit this case to the International Tribunal pursuant to Article 4(ii) b) of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules.
Here’s the decision of the International Tribunal:
The International Tribunal, after having heard the parties and examined their submissions, decided to confirm the disqualification of Mr. Luca Corberi from the 2020 FIA Karting World Championship – KZ and impose to him a suspension (Article 12.3.1.n of the International Sporting Code) and a ban (Articles 5.2.2.b and 5.2.2.d of the Judicial and Disciplinary Rules) for a period of 15 years, starting on the date of coming into force of the decision of the International Tribunal.
The decision of the International Tribunal may be appealed within a 7-day time limit before the FIA International Court of Appeal.
You may also be interested in:
- Riccardo Longhi is the new team manager of Birel ART Racing Team
- Champions of the Future: MG Tires to supply all classes at Genk’s opening round
- IAME IAME Series Round 1: Sunshine returns on Sunday to make a spectacular season opener!
- WSK Euro Series Round 1: Pesl, Al Dhaheri, Lindblad & Kremers winners of wet & hard-fought Finals at Lonato!
- WSK Super Master Series Round 3: Final victories to Kremers, Antonelli, Kutskov & Olivieri at Sarno